The church in Tonstad is a long church from 1852. The church is built on the basis of the so-called Rogaland type, one of the church models that the famous architect Linstow (1787- 1851) included in his book of typographical drawings. This church, at least the third on this site, was built on top of a previous church from 1625.
The Garnethill Synagogue in Glasgow is an Ashkenazi synagogue built in 1877-79 by architects John McLeod and N.S. Joseph. This stone building in the Neo-Romanesque and Neo-Moorish style still serves as a synagogue.
The church in Hisøy is a cross church built in 1849 by John Bakken, designed by Gustav A. Lammers. The altarpiece was painted by Christen Brun. The church has two church bells cast in Sundsvall, Sweden.
The church of Sainte-Madeleine was built between 1882 and 1883. But from the end of the 19th century, with the sea baths, the development of the town was considerable and the chapel was too small. The apse was built in 1906. In 1926, further extension work was carried out by adding the left nave. It was decided to add the right-hand nave to the existing building, as well as to install panelling inside the church (1933-1934). In 2019, the creation of a monumental fresco inside the church has been entrusted to the Lille artist Amaury Dubois.
The oldest parts of the parish church of St Catherine of Alexandria date from the 15th century. In 1621, during the conflicts between Protestants and Catholics, it suffered further damage and was restored in 1627. In 1765, the bell tower was raised by about six metres and renovated. The present facade dates from 1818 and was designed by Jean Noyé, a native of Martinique.
Orre church was consecrated in 1950. The architects of the church were Gustav Helland and Endre Årreberg. The altarpiece was painted by Thoralf Gjesdal.
The parish church of Saint-Martin-de-Ré dates from the 14th century. Ravaged several times by conflicts, it was finally rebuilt more modestly in the 17th and 18th centuries, reusing what remained of the Gothic building. On the first day of 1774, the bell tower collapsed, taking with it part of the vaults. It was then decided to rebuild the building by reversing the orientation of the choir: bell tower to the east, choir now to the west. During the Revolution, the church was temporarily closed to worship.
The Vegusdal church is a cruciform-shaped church dating from 1867. The Vegusdal church was designed by Conrad Fredrik von der Lippe, built in 1866-67 by the architect Schauffert from Arendal and consecrated by Bishop Jacob von der Lippe (the architect's father) in June 1867.
The church of Saint-Savinien is a Romanesque building constructed between the 11th and 13th centuries. The present sanctuary is the successor of an ancient priory, mentioned in a charter of 1039, of which nothing remains. Heavily damaged during the Hundred Years' War (1337-1453), when the Charente was a border between the English and French possessions, and then during the religious conflicts of the 16th century, it has been restored several times.
Åseral church is a wooden church built in 1822. The building, with a cross plan, was probably designed by architects Olav O.Aasland, Olav Bakken and Bernt Aslaks.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut