The Michaelis Church in Leipzig was built in 1901-1904 in the newly developed Nordvorstadt district of Leipzig. The architecture does not correspond to any style, but combines neo-Gothic, neo-Baroque and Art Nouveau elements.
The construction of the cathedral was ordered around 1200 by Bishop Garnier de Traînel and began under the episcopacy of his successor Hervé in 1208. The construction work continued until the 17th century. The Saint Paul tower to the south was never built. Before, a 110-metre spire surmounted the transept crossing, it was swept away by a tornado in 1365, then struck by lightning in 1700, after which it was no longer rebuilt. Part of the choir was destroyed in a hurricane in 1228, and the roof of the nave was burnt down by a storm in 1389. During the revolution, all the large statues of the portals were smashed and some of the stained glass windows were destroyed, the treasure was melted down, dechristianized and transformed into the Temple of Abundance for several years.
The construction of Vigevano Cathedral dates back to the 16th century, with a western façade dating back to the 1670s. The original structure was built before the year 1000. The present building was commissioned by Duke Francesco II Sforza around 1530. Construction began in 1532 under the direction of Antonio da Lonate. It was not completed until 1612. The building was consecrated on 24th April 1612.
Willibrordi Cathedral is a late Gothic basilica built between 1498 and 1540 with a tower dating from 1478. In 1540, the town joined the Reformation and the church became a protestant church. Under the influence of religious refugees, the church became a centre of the Reformed denomination. This development led to a simple interior of the church. Many objects such as paintings and sculptures were sold. In 1874, the cathedral was closed due to dilapidation. With the help of the Prussian rulers, the church was then renovated in the neo-gothic style. In 1945, Willibrordi Cathedral was severely damaged during the war. In 1947, the Willibrordi Cathedral Association was founded with the aim of rebuilding the church according to the plan of the late Middle Ages.
Built at the end of the 17th century on the site of the old village church according to the wishes of the Count of Avaux Jean-Jacques de Mesmes. Of an extravagant form, designed by a talented architect: the Dominican friar François Romain and by Fleury, an architect who lived on the spot, the shell was completed in 1683. The church was completed, received and blessed in 1685. A very original plan which is compared to the shape of a viol. Entirely built in brick, its architecture with colonnades, domes and cupolas is truly audacious. None of the walls of the building follow a straight line.
Notre-Dame de Scourmont is a Trappist abbey built in the second half of the 19th century. The priory was founded in 1850 and elevated to the rank of abbey in 1871. In 1863, a brewery was established in the abbey and in 1876, the Trappist monks began to produce hard cheese from the milk from their farm.
The Cathedral of Lodi is one of the largest Romanesque churches in Lombardy and the oldest monument in Lodi: the foundation stone of the building was symbolically laid on 3 August 1158, the day the city was founded. The first phase of its construction dates back to the period between 1158 and 1163; the crypt was solemnly inaugurated with the translation of the relics of Saint Bassianus in 1163, in the presence of Emperor Frederick Barbarossa. A second phase took place between 1170 and 1180, but the façade was not completed until 1284. Subsequent 18th-century restorations carried out by the architect Francesco Croce changed the original appearance of the building, which was however restored in 1958-1965.
Located in Fère-Champenoise, in the Marne department, the Saint Timothée church is a majestic building that combines Romanesque and Gothic styles. The windows of the apse are a wonderful example of the flamboyant Gothic style and are well worth visiting.
The present building of Vercelli Cathedral was built on the site of a church building dating back to the 4th century. In the second half of the 16th century, Pellegrino Tibaldi, redesigned the building, destroying what was left of the medieval church, including the choir and the presbytery; it was redefined with the construction of chapels on the sides, and new naves, these works were completed in the 18th century.
The Church of Saint-Christophe, registered with the Historical Monuments, is located in Saint-Christophe-en-Bresse in Burgundy-Franche-Comté region. It is one of the few Romanesque churches of Burgundy Bresse. The twelfth century church was ravaged in the sixteenth century and rebuilt in the nineteenth century. It has a nave with three vaulted vessels, a transept and a chevet including an apse and two apsidioles, one of which houses a polychrome wooded statue of the Virgin of Pity, dated to the late fifteenth century.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut