The Old Synagogue in Alba Iulia is an Ashkenazi synagogue that was built in 1938. A former synagogue was already built in 1840. The synagogue was recently repaired in 2017. This Neo-Baroque brick building still serves as a synagogue. Alba Iulia is the oldest Jewish settlement in Transylvania, where Jewish presence was recorded in the late 16th century. In 1653, the region's code of laws required all Jews in Transylvania to live exclusively in this town. Until 1879, the rabbis of Alba Iulia were considered to be the chief rabbis of all Jews in Transylvania.
While admiring the scenery of Transylvanian fortified churches, the traveler should not miss the small town of Sebeş. In its center the fortified church bears the imprints of the past with dignity. The monument was built in the 12th century by Saxon colonists, was destroyed during the Mongol invasion 1241-1242 and later on rebuilt in Gothic style, fortified and provided with a defence wall. In the second half of the 14th century, a period characterized by a flourishing economy, an impressive chancel was constructed. For almost 40 years, starting mid 15th century, Sebeş was under Ottoman domination.
In the centuries that followed, agriculture lost its importance and the town became a center for craftsmen, who diligently brought a great contribution to the church’s enhancement. However, WWI ended Sebeş’s prosperity. The bells were confiscated, melted and turned into ammunition. They could only be replaced as late as 1925.
During the 13th century a Romanesque basilica was built on a hill outside the village, but only the ruin of the bell tower covered in greenery and the remains of the surrounding boulder wall that was probably built already end of 13th – beginning of the 14th century are still preserved. On the southern side the ruins of a former bastion can still be identified.
The rest of the church was demolished in 1805, the resulting material being used to erect a new building inside the village. The neoclassical hall church is covered with penetrated barrel vault and has a bell tower on the western side. The neoclassical altar was built in 1877 by Fritz Reuschel from Sebeş and the Rieger company built the organ in 1895.