The Stiftskirche is a church of the Evangelical Lutheran Church and a well-known building in the city because of its irregular towers. Built from the 10th century, it is the only surviving architectural testimony of the Hohenstaufen period in Stuttgart.
The cathedral church of St. Eberhard has been a cathedral only since 1978. Although the parish dates back to the 10th century, the present building was completed in 1955, the previous one having been destroyed during the Second World War.
The church of St. Dionys dates back to the 13th and 14th centuries. An excavation museum was built under the church on the Esslingen market square in the 1960s. It shows the foundations of the walls of the former churches, attested on this site since 777. The church's greatest treasure is the magnificent stained glass windows in the choir dating from around 1300.