Hofburg Chapel

The Hofburg Chapel is the oldest and main chapel of the Hofburg Palace and the chapel of the Habsburg House. A Romanesque chapel has existed since the 13th century and was extended in Gothic style from 1447 to 1449. Maria Theresa (1745-1765) ordered a Baroque reconstruction of the chapel, but the chapel regained its Gothic appearance in 1802. The chapel occasionally houses the famous Viennese Court Music Orchestra.

About this building

Key Features

  • Interior features
  • Famous people or stories

Visitors information

  • Bus stop within 100m
  • Level access to the main areas
  • Accessible toilets nearby
  • Café in the building
  • Café within 500m
  • Building shop or souvenirs

Other nearby buildings

Michaelerkirche

The Michaelerkirche is one of the oldest churches in Vienna. It was built in the 13th century. It is a rare example of a Romanesque church in Vienna, although with baroque and classical additions.

Minoritenkirche

The Minoritenkirche is a Gothic church belonging formerly to the Franciscan friars. The building was built from 1276 to 1350 but has many additions of the following centuries.