House of Prayer of the Old Believers

The house of prayer of the old believers in raja is a reconstruction from 1902 to 1910 of a building dating from 1879. The Old Believers (Orthodox branch) of Raja did not receive permission to build their own shrine until 1879. The building burnt down during the Second World War on 30 August 1944, and unfortunately, all that remains is the bell tower, which was restored in 1990. There is now a museum in the church.

About this building

Key Features

  • Architecture

Visitors information

  • Bus stop within 100m
  • Café within 500m

Other nearby buildings

Wikimedia Commons/Väino Valdmann

St. George's Church

St. George's Church is a Gothic church built in the 14th century. The church suffered a lot during the Livonian War (1558-1583). It was only between 1645 and 1680 that the old stone church was restored and could be reused. The church was again badly damaged during the Great Northern War and was transformed and restored throughout the 18th century. In 1848, the church was completely renovated again. The walls of the church were whitewashed inside and out, the pews were repainted and the pulpit was renovated. In 1876 a new stone roof was completed, the ceiling and floor were partially renovated, new and larger windows were installed. During the Second World War, the church was again badly damaged. The church tower, which was restored in the 1970s, was completely destroyed.

Wikimedia Commons/Anita

St. Mary Magdalene Church

The St. Mary Magdalene Church is a stone church first mentioned in 1380 as an auxiliary church of the congregation of Palamuse. The church was probably built in the second half of the 14th or 15th century. During the wars of the 16th century, a large part of the church of Mary Magdalene was destroyed. In 1642 the construction of a new church began. After the Great Northern War, the church had to be repaired again, although it came out of it without major damage. In 1885-1887 the old church was completely rebuilt in the neo-gothic style. The last major renovation took place in 1937.