The Cathedral of St Mary and St Anne is the Catholic cathedral of Cork. It was built in 1808 in the Neo-Gothic style and was badly damaged by a fire in 1820. Restoration was carried out by George Richard Pain in 1818. In 1964 the cathedral church complex was enlarged and the tower, which reaches a height of 80 metres, was built.
Cork, Ireland's second most populous city, has its origins in a 6th-century monastic settlement. It is no exaggeration to say that the religious culture is deeply present. Today, like other cities in Ireland, Cork bears the mark of the long imposed separation between Catholics and Anglicans.
St. Anne's Church of Cork is one of the landmarks of the city, with its bells being made famous in a 19th-century song. The church is most noted for its bell tower and its mixture of red stone and limestone. It was completed in its present form in 1726.
The Roman church of St Mary's Priory was built in 1832, but the recognisable hexastyle Ionic portico was not added until 1861. The church was designed by Cork architect Kearns Deane, and the portico was added by architects Deane and Woodward. The imposing scale of the building makes it a notable addition to the docks. This church is part of a group of Roman Catholic buildings with the priory buildings to the north.
St. Francis Church is a Franciscan church opened and consecrated in 1953 after the old 19th-century church was considered unsafe. The new church was designed by the architects A. E. Jones in the Byzantine style. The construction of the new church was soon followed by the construction of the new convent.
Holy Trinity Church, also known as Father Mathew Memorial Church, is a Roman Catholic church belonging to the Capuchin Friars Minor order. The church was built in the Regency Gothic style between 1832 and 1890. This long period was due to the great famine (1845-1852). Theobald Mathew, from whom the name of the church is derived, arrived in Cork in 1814 and worked hard to improve the conditions of the city's poor and initiated the present church. However, Father Matthew never saw the building completed as he died in 1856.
St. Finbarr's Cathedral is an Irish Anglican cathedral built between 1865 and 1879. The three spires of the cathedral are one of the symbols of Cork. It is named after St. Finbarr, the patron saint of the city. The present cathedral is at least the third on this site: a medieval cathedral existed but was damaged during the Siege of Cork in 1689-1690, and a small neoclassical cathedral was built on the site by Bishop Peter Browne in 1735. It was demolished in 1865 to make way for the present cathedral.