St. Paul's Church is a former Catholic church, now used by a group of young Catholics and the Jacobite Syrian Christian Church. The church was built between 1835 and 1837 according to the plans of Patrick Byrne, who also designed the nearby St. Audoen Catholic Church and the Church of the Immaculate Conception (Adam and Eve's) on the Merchant's Quay.
Dublin is famous for its beautiful Georgian buildings, its music scene and of course its pubs. Dublin's religious heritage is just as interesting, it tells the story of the city's foundation by the Vikings, its long occupation by the English, and the birth of nationalism through Catholicism.
The Church of the Immaculate Conception, also known as Adam and Eve, is a Franciscan church that was built between 1834 and 1889. The church was built following the Catholic emancipation of 1829. In the days of hiding, the Franciscan friars of Dublin discreetly held mass at the tavern of Adam and Eve, hence the popular name of today's church. The church was designed by architect Patrick Byrne, who had planned a tower at the entrance to Merchant's Quay. However, due to financial problems, the church was built without a nave or tower. The church was originally dedicated to Saint Francis, but in 1889 it was rededicated to the Immaculate Conception of Our Lady.
St Audoen's Church, founded in 1190, is located in Dublin's Old Town. It is the oldest parish church in use in Dublin, and a rare example of medieval architecture in the city. In 1825 the church building was in a state of ruin, parts of the church were closed or roofless. The architect Thomas Drew was the first to draw serious attention to the architectural and historical importance of the church in 1866. In 1826, the seventeenth-century tower was remodelled by Henry Aaron Baker, but it was not until the major restoration in 1982 that the tower was secured. A Catholic church of the same name is located next door.
Christ Church Cathedral or the Dublin Cathedral is an Irish Anglican cathedral. Founded in 1038 by the Vikings who occupied Dublin, it is the oldest of the city's two cathedrals. In 1539, King Henry VIII decided to convert the priory into an Anglican cathedral with a dean and a chapter. The Cathedral was completely renovated during the Victorian era by George Edmund Street. In the twentieth century, further renovations were carried out, particularly between 1980 and 1982.
St. Patrick's Cathedral, built in the 13th century, is the seat of the Anglican Church of Ireland. The building stands on a former place of worship dating back to the 5th century. The west tower was rebuilt by Archbishop Minot in 1370 after a fire and the spire dates from 1749. In 1666, the Cathedral Chapter donated the Chapel of the Virgin to the community of French Huguenot Protestants who had taken refuge in Ireland. Until 1816, a service was held every Sunday in French by a Huguenot pastor. In the 1860s, a major renovation was necessary, financed by Sir Benjamin Guinness (of the brewery of the same name). As a result of this renovation, many of the walls and decorations date from the Victorian era.
The Church of John's Lane is a Roman Catholic church whose construction began in 1862. The architects were Edward Welby Pugin and George C. Ashlin. In 1874, the Gothic Revival church was consecrated, but the interior was completed in 1911. The church's bell tower is the highest in the city, at over 61 metres.
Newman University Church is a Catholic church in Dublin, built in 1855-56. It was founded by John Henry Newman for the newly established Catholic University of Ireland, and designed in a neo-Byzantine style, due to the architect's aversion to Gothic architecture. The interior is richly decorated with marble and serpentine from many parts of Ireland.