Căpriana monastery is one of the oldest monasteries in Moldova, being mentioned for the first time in the 1420s. Having the status of a royal monastery, the monastery establishment has benefited from the care of several rulers of Moldova including Stephen III of Moldavia (1457-1504) and Petru Rareș (1527-1538). The first stone church, dedicated to the Assumption, was built during the reign of Alexander the Good, around 1425. In 1840, a second church of the monastery was built, dedicated to Saint George, and in 1903 a third church was built and dedicated to Saint Nicholas. In 1962, the monastery was closed and a sanatorium for children with tuberculosis was opened in the cells. It was only in 1989 that the monastery reopened.
Wedged between Romania and Ukraine, Moldova is one of Europe's last and best-kept secrets. In these orthodox lands, monks been building impressive monasteries since at least the 15th century.
The Horodiste Cave Monastery in Tipova extends over three levels and has three churches: Holy Cross - 11-12th century, St. Nicholas - 14th century, and the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin - 16-18th century. The bell tower, cells, and other rooms are more recent and date from the 19th century. In all, the more than 20 rooms connect to each other through tunnels, galleries and stairways, the largest being the Church of the Assumption.
The monastery of Saharna is one of the oldest monastic establishments in Moldova. The monastic complex is composed of two monasteries: the cave monastery of the Annunciation and the monastery of the Holy Trinity. The latter monastery was founded in 1776, but less is known about the cave monastery, whose date of foundation is uncertain. Between 1818 and 1821, the Church of the Holy Trinity was built and became the main temple of the monastery. In 1857, the cave monastery was restored. In the 1960s, a psychiatric hospital was opened by the Soviet authorities on the premises of the former monastery. The monastery was reopened in 1991.
Curchi Monastery is one of the most important monuments of Bessarabian architecture. It is an architectural ensemble dating mostly from the 18th and 19th centuries. It consists of five churches, two buildings with cells, a stable, several auxiliary rooms, an orchard, a hermitage and an "archondaric" (guest wing). The Church of the Nativity of the Mother of God, built in 1775, is in neo-Byzantine style, and the Church of St. Nicholas (1808 - 1810) is built in the style of classicism with baroque elements. It is surrounded by a high stone wall. During the Soviet period, the monastery was transformed into a psychiatric hospital.
According to legend, the monastery of Hîncu was built by the Moldavian boyar Mihalcea Hîncu (17th century) after he and his daughter Paraschiva escaped from the Tartars. During his escape, he had sworn to build a monastery should they survive their endeavour. The monastery now stands in the place where they made it to safety. It was not until 1835 that the monastery, which until then was mainly made of wood, was equipped with stone. From 1956 to 1990, the monastery was closed by the Soviet Union and the site was used as a recreation centre by the Ministry of Health. Since its reopening, the monastery has undergone extensive repairs.
Orheiul Vechi (Old Orhei), is an archaeological and ecclesiastical complex about 50km north of the capital, Chişinău. Its most well-known attraction is the Cave Monastery, a complex of rooms and tunnels dug into a remote, rocky ridge over the Răut River. The UNESCO world heritage site includes a 1905 Orthodox church dedicated to the Ascension of St Mary as well as ruins from different eras, from the times of the Dacian tribes (2000 years ago) to those of the Mongol and Tatar invasions.