Lund Cathedral is one of the oldest and most important Romanesque buildings in the Nordic Countries. Its construction began in the late 11th century when Lund became the episcopal seat of Scandinavia (1060). The altar in the crypt was consecrated in 1123, being the oldest part of the building. The Cathedral has undergone continuous restorations over the centuries. Its iconic 55-meter high towers are the result of 19th century works when they were completely rebuilt in a neo-Romanesque style in harmony with the rest of the building. Among the treasures housed in its interior are six pipe organs and an astronomical clock built in the 15th century.
As early as the 13th century, Lund became not only the seat of the archbishop of Scandinavia, but also a thriving religious centre of the expanding Christianity in the North of Europe. In the wake of the Reformation and as Malmo grew, most of the medieval churches in Lund gradually disappeared. Nevertheless, some of its sacred buildings are today landmarks of contemporary Lund.
The All Saints Church is one of the most recent religious structures in Lund. Despite this, it remains one of the most outstanding buildings, with a magnificent Neo-gothic style. The church was inaugurated in 1891. Its red-brick figure has become another icon of Lund’s skyline with a spire that reaches 72 meters. In 1990, the church was threatened with demolition. Fortunately, it was saved thanks to the extensive interior and exterior restoration between 2005 and 2011. The church now has a superb appearance, with a richly ornamented interior, which is a source of admiration for many visitors.
The origins of St. Peter's Priory date back to the second half of the 12th century, when Lund was a flourishing religious centre in Scandinavia. The original Romanesque church was replaced in the 13th century by the current Gothic building. The priory complex comprised several buildings, including a dormitory, a refectory and cellars, and a wing for the lay sisters. These buildings were demolished in the 16th century, leaving only the church, which continued to function as a parish church.
The history of Bosebo Church does not begin in Lund, but in the now defunct county of Västbo. It was built in 1652 and decorated with fine carpentry. The church interior was decorated with paintings by Sven Nilsson Morin in 1782. The same artist is also the author of the pulpit. Nevertheles, in 1894 the church was to be demolished to make room for a bigger church. It was rescued by Kulturen i Lund, a cultural centre that bought it and gave it a new home in the centre of Lund. The church had to be dismantled, shipped, and re-erected at its current location. After this successful operation, the church remains opens to visitors and hosts celebrations such as weddings and baptisms