St Sophia's Cathedral, named after St Sophia's Cathedral in Constantinople, was built in 1037 by the Kievan Prince Yaroslav the Wise (978-1054) as a burial place for Kievan rulers. The cathedral was first sacked in 1169 by Andrey Bogolyubsky of the Vladimir-Suzdal principality, and in 1240 by the Mongols, who made it fall into disuse. After the Union of Brest (1595-1596), St. Sophia Cathedral was annexed to the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church until it was recovered by the Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Peter Mogila in 1633. Mogila commissioned repairs and the upper part of the building was almost completely rebuilt, in the Ukrainian Baroque style, retaining the Byzantine interior. At the end of the reconstruction, in 1740, the cathedral took on its present appearance. The building has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1990.
The Volodymyrsky Cathedral was built between 1862 and 1882 in the Russian neo-Byzantine style, but the interior decoration, including many symbolist frescoes, was not completed until 1896. During the Soviet period, the cathedral escaped demolition but not closure, and during the Second World War, it became a museum of religion and atheism. After the war, the cathedral was reopened as one of the few functioning Orthodox churches in the USSR. Since 2018, the church has been the mother cathedral of the new Ukrainian Orthodox Church, which seceded from the Patriarch of Moscow.
The New Synagogue in Khust was built in the mid-19th century with a simple rural Baroque facade. It was built with a twin synagogue beside it, but the twin was destroyed under Soviet rule. The interior is notable for the impressive ceiling painting and it is an example of a nine-bay synagogue built around a four-pillar central Bimah.