The Peter and Paul Church in Kaarma was probably built in 1261. The high bell tower, whose east side rests on the west side, was completed in the 15th century. The eastern wall of the choir hall is illustrated by a rare triple window in Estonia. The interior of the church contains real treasures. Besides the 13th century paintings on the north wall of the choir. There are also 13th-century baptismal fonts as well as a wooden sculpture of Simon of Cyrene (mid 15th century) and an altar donated in 1547.
St. Jacob's Church is a fortified church dating back to the 13th century. The church is one of the oldest buildings on Saaremaa Island.
The church in Valjala is the oldest preserved stone church in Estonia. It was built from 1227, at the time of the Livonia Crusades (13th century). In the third quarter of the 13th century, the small church of that time was transformed into a fortified church. The defensive church contains both Romanesque and Gothic elements. In 1922, thunderstruck the church and burnt the baroque helmet of the tower.