Leipziger Temple in Piatra-Neamţ

The Leipziger Temple in Piatra-Neamţ was originally built by David and Pinchas Kolomier in 1839 and renovated in 1904 after a fire. The rebuilt synagogue features a high curved roof and two tiers of windows. The windows in the upper tier are circular, while those in the lower tier are semicircular (forming the top section of an arch). Atypically the eastern wall, which contains the niche for the Torah ark inside the main prayer hall, is a long wall; the prayer hall is thus wide instead of long. The exterior of the eastern wall (at the place corresponding to the niche for the Torah ark features a rectangular apse decorated with pilasters, a blind arch, and an inscription with the name of the synagogue.

About this building

For more information visit on this building visit http://historicsynagogueseurope.org/browser.php?mode=set&id=2231

Other nearby buildings

Center for Jewish Art

Old Wooden Synagogue in Piatra Neamț

The Old Wooden Synagogue in Piatra Neamț dates from 1766. It underwent restoration in 1826, 1854, 1870, 1928, and 2010. According to legend the Baal Shem Tov prayed here, hence it is sometimes called the "Besht Synagogue". The synagogue building consists of a rectangular prayer hall with a women's gallery on the north side. The interior floor is sunken one and a half meters below the exterior ground level. An octagonal wooden dome, typical of 18th-century wooden synagogue architecture, rises above the bimah in the center of the main prayer hall. A stone vestibule attached to the west side of the wooden building functions in winter as a smaller, warmer prayer hall.

Center for Jewish Art

Rebbe's Kloyz in Buhuşi

The kloyz was apparently built after the establishment of the court of Rabbi Itzhak Friedmann (1834-1896), a grandson of Rabbi Israel of Ruzhin, in Buhuşi (Bohosh) in 1866 (Streja A., and Schwarz L., "The Synagogue in Romania", The Hasefer Publishing House, 2009, p. 81б give a wrong date, 1840). The kloyz was built in the Neo-Baroque style as a small palace with the main entrance and the stairs from the courtyard. Four large semi-circular window decorated with architraves and keystones are located on each of the three facades of the building (except the western one). The building is decorated by rusticated decor, pilasters, and multilevel cornice. A semicircular niche flanked by pilasters marks the place of the Torah ark. The building was renovated in the 1980s, its prayer hall was completely repainted.

Flickr/Daniel ENGELVIN

Rasca Monastery

Rasca monastery is one of the famous painted monasteries of the Bucovina region due to the 16th-century frescos present on the exterior of its church. It was built between 1541 - 46 by Petru Rares, the prince of Moldavia. The Monastery suffered plundering by Turks and an earthquake in the 19th century, after which parts of it were renovated in a more contemporary style for the time.