The Maria-und-Martha-Kirche was first mentioned in 1359 in what is now Steinstraße. In 1382, its name appears in connection with a Maria-Martha hospital. The hospital and the church were destroyed by fire several times, in 1488, 1620 and 1686. During the strong growth of the city towards the east from about 1870, the old church was demolished and it was decided to build a new one. Between 1888 and 1891, the new Maria-und-Martha-Kirche was built as a catechism and garrison church in neo-Gothic style according to the plans of the Dresden architect Christian Schramm.

About this building

Key Features

  • Architecture

Visitors information

  • Bus stop within 100m

Other nearby buildings

Wikimedia Commons/Paulis


The Liebfrauenkirche is probably the second oldest church in the city after St. Peter's Cathedral. Although it was first documented in April 1293, many historians now believe that the Liebfrauenkirche was founded as early as the 11th century. During the unsuccessful siege of Bautzen by the Hussites in 1429, the church was destroyed and was consecrated again in 1443. In 1620, during a siege of the city and during the fires of 1634 and 1686, the Church of Our Lady was again largely destroyed and was also frequently remodelled. Between 1864 and 1900, the church took on its present form.

Wikimedia Commons/SchiDD


The Taucherkirche is one of the seven historic church buildings in Bautzen. Construction of the new Taucherkirche began in 1598 and the building was solemnly consecrated in 1599. However, the roof burned down completely during the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648) and had to be restored in 1628. In the 18th and 19th centuries, several important reconstructions took place; in 1899, the hospital was demolished after more than 200 years of existence. During the coalition wars, the church itself had been used as a military hospital. The first fundamental renovation of the church took place from 1917 to 1926.

Wikimedia Commons/Jerzy Strzelecki

St. Peter's Cathedral

St. Peter's Cathedral is the first and largest of the shared churches in Germany. In 1213, Bishop Bruno II established a collegiate chapter there. The building took on its present appearance around 1430, when the late Gothic hall church was extended to the south by a fourth nave. The interior was redecorated in Baroque taste after the town fire in 1634, which also affected the church. In 1664, the bell tower was raised by a Baroque spire. After long quarrels and discussions between Catholics and Lutherans, the council of provosts of the town decides according to an edict of 1543 which regulates the use of the church for both communities.