Mary, Queen of Peace Church, Velbert-Neviges

Construction of the church and pilgrimage center Mary, Queen of Peace in Velbert-Neviges began in 1966 as a result of a competition from 1963/1964. The church was consecrated in 1968. It was planned by the architect Gottfried Böhm, the first German Pritzker Price winner (1986). The church is one of the most daring folded concrete constructions of the modern age.

About this building

For more information on this building visit…

Key Features

  • Architecture
  • Stained glass
  • Monuments
  • Interior features
  • Atmosphere / quiet space

Visitors information

  • Train station within 250m
  • Level access to the main areas
  • On street parking at the building

Other nearby buildings

Von seier+seier - originally posted to Flickr as gottfried böhm, pilgrimage church, neviges 1963-1972, CC BY 2.0,

Nevigeser Wallfahrtsdom

The Nevigeser Wallfahrtsdom is a pilgrimage church built in 1963-1972. The architectural style of the current building, designed by Gottfried Böhm, is attributed to brutalism. The shape of the building is meant to resemble that of a large tent, and the frequently recurring symbol of the interior design is the rose, symbol of the Virgin Mary.

Wikimedia Commons/Ökologix

Former Reformed Church

The former Reformed Church, which dates from the end of the 17th century, is the fifth church on this site. The church was destroyed during the air raids on Wuppertal during the Second World War and rebuilt in the 1950s. In 1953, an upper floor was created for the YMCA by inserting a false ceiling. In 2002, the interior of the church was cut in half and a café was set up in the front part as a meeting place. Since then, the church has been called CityKirche Elberfeld.

Wikimedia Commons/Ökologix

Reformed Church

The Reformed Church in Cronenberg was built from 1766 to 1771. It belongs to the type of Bergische Predigtkirche (Bergian preaching church) modelled on the Old Reformed Church in Elberfeld.