Mechelen Cathedral

St. Rumbold’s Cathedral was built in the thirteenth century. It was known as ‘the church of the archbishops’ because it was larger and more impressive than the other parish churches. Originally there was a triple-nave cruciform church on the site of the cathedral. Much of the interior and iconoclasms were lost to plundering during the 16th century. The interior of the church is magnificent with works by Anthony van Dyck, Michel Coxie, Gaspard de Crayer, and Abraham Janssens. The showpiece is the high altar by Lucas Faydherbe from 1665.

About this building

For more information on this building visit https://toerisme.mechelen.be/en/st-rumbolds-cathedral

Key Features

  • Architecture
  • Stained glass
  • Interior features

Visitors information

  • Parking within 250m
  • Accessible toilets nearby

Other nearby buildings

Wikimedia Commons/Paul Hermans

St John's Church

Originally there was only a chapel on the site, which got converted into a parish church halfway the 13th century. In the course of the 15th century, the church was enlarged to a full-fledged Gothic church. The building was gravely damaged after the explosion of Zandpoort in 1546 and by the Geuzen during the 16th century. After this, the church was used as military base and stable over a period of five years. It was rededicated in 1585. In 1645, the church was incorporated into the nearby Orators’ Monastery, which from then on provided the parish services. The building was sold in 1799, but returned to service in 1803 and got restored in 1890.

Wikimedia Commons/Paul Hermans

St Catherine's Church

This Gothic church was built in the 14th century and thoroughly renovated around 1400-1450. The Fonteskapel (Fontes Chapel) was added in the 16th century and the Sint-Jozefkapel (Saint Joseph Chapel) in 1673. During the 18th century, the church was richly decorated. The moderate style that characterizes the church today is the result of a thorough restoration in the neo-Gorthic tradition during the 19th and 20th century.

Wikimedia Commons/Michielverbeek

Saint Gummarus Church

The Saint Gummarus Church was built on the same spot as a previous Romanesque parish church which was dedicated to Saint John the Baptist. The construction of the Saint Gummarus Church started in 1378 and lasted for 200 years. Because of this, the building was built in three different styles, according to the preference of the time: the lowest part is Gothic, the middle part Baroque and the roof and tower are Rococo. A renovation of the church is planned from 2021 until 2029.