Neolog Synagogue in Nitra

The Neolog Synagogue in Nitra was completed in 1911 by architect Lippòt Baumhorn. In use until WWII, this brick building in the Neo-Moorish and Art Nouveau style now serves as a cultural centre.

About this building

For more information visit on this building visit

Key Features

  • Architecture

Other nearby buildings

Wikimedia Commons

Church of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary, Nitra

The Church of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary was completed in 1854 in neo-Romanesque style. It was rebuilt in 1911 and again in the 1940s and 1970s. The main decoration of the church is a large wooden altar with three altarpieces created by the Viennese painter Schiler. Under the church is a spacious crypt with an altar where the nuns were buried.

Wikimedia Commons

Basilica of St. Emeram

The Basilica of St. Emeram is part of Nitra Castle and as such one of the first national cultural monuments in Slovakia, declared in 1961. The basilica consists of three buildings from different periods. The Romanesque chapel was built at the turn of the 11th and 12th centuries. The upper church dates from 1333 - 1355 and was built in the Gothic style. The lower church was built between 1621 - 1642. Later the whole cathedral was rebuilt in Baroque style.

Wikimedia Commons/Roman Hraška

Nitra Cathedral

St Emmeram's Cathedral is located on the grounds of Nitra Castle. The cathedral is actually made up of three different church buildings: a Romanesque church from the 11th century, the upper Gothic church from the 14th century and the lower church from the 17th century. The oldest part is the 11th-century Romanesque church of St. Emmeram, which, according to recent research, rests on foundations from the 9th century. It was damaged by fire in the 13th century and destroyed in 1317 by the army of Matthew III Csák. A single-nave Gothic church was then built between 1333 and 1355, into which the old church was incorporated. In 1621-1642, the lower church was built on the long southern side of the upper church and on the narrow side of the Romanesque church.