Nikšić Cathedral

Nikšić Cathedral dates from the end of the 19th century. When the Diocese of Zahumlje-Raska was established in 1878, the decision was made to have its centre at Nikšić. During the construction of the cathedral from 1895 to 1900, the first bishop of Zahumlje-Raska, Visarion Ljubiša (1878-1882), stayed temporarily in the nearby Ostrog monastery. The cathedral was designed by the Russian architect Mikhail Timofeevich Preobrazhensky.

About this building

Key Features

  • Architecture

Visitors information

  • Café within 500m

Other nearby buildings

Ostrog Monastery

The Ostrog Monastery is a Serbian Orthodox monastery nested in a cliff of Mount Ostrog. This building is dedicated to St. Basil of Ostrog whose relics are preserved in a 17th century chapel. It is a place of pilgrimage renowned for its miraculous cures.

Wikimedia Commons/Sailko

Church of Saint-Eustache

The church of Saint-Eustache dates from 1773 but has a 19th-century bell tower and a small walled cemetery. The church houses a collection of paintings, especially by the Baroque master Carlo Dolci (1616-1686).