The legend of the foundation of Notre-Dame du Roncier says that in 808, a peasant found a statue of the Virgin in a bramble bush while working on the banks of the Oust. He tried to bring her back home, but the statue kept disappearing and reappeared in his bramble bush. He decided to build a chapel and, over time, other people came to settle in what became the city of Josselin. The sickle that the peasant used would have been hung in the chapel and would never have worn out over time. The brambles growing on the gable could never have been pulled out. Revolutionaries would have tried to burn the original statue, but a fragment was pulled from the flames and placed in a reliquary. The Basilica of Notre-Dame du Roncier de Josselin is a key building in the Breton architecture of the late Middle Ages. In the heart of the town, this emblematic building, which has been redesigned several times, stands out for its size and its flamboyant Gothic style of the late 15th century. From its bell tower, you can admire the panorama of the town, its majestic castle and the surrounding area.
About this building
Listed as a Historic Monument since 1929, the Basilica of Our Lady of the Roncier is a stopover on the roads to Compostela and welcomes, every year, on September 8th, a Pardon which brings together a large number of pilgrims. Inside, the Basilica conceals many treasures: the recumbents of Olivier de Clisson and his wife, the great organ restored in 1990, the wrought iron pulpit to preach made by a wrought iron craftsman from Josselin, Eustache Roussin, and its magnificent stained glass windows from the 12th to the 20th centuries. The building has undergone four changes in its status and function. The modest castral chapel, built for the counts of Porhoët around 1200, became, at the end of the 14th century, under the impetus of Constable Olivier de Clisson, a prestigious sanctuary and a seigneurial mausoleum.
The chapel of the Château de Callac is located in Plumelec, Brittany, and dates back to the 12th century. The current Château was built in the 14th century and enlarged in the 15th and 16th centuries. It was then redeveloped in the 17th century with the four pavilions. The small private chapel, is inseparable from the castle of Callac, which is classified with the Historical Monuments.
The castle of Chèze was built on the coasts of Armor by Eudon II in the twelfth century. The castle was passed into the hands of the Rohan family who built, in the fifteenth century, their accounting room. In 1629, the castle was dismantled by order of Richelieu. Some of the stones are sold on August 25, 1743, in order to construct the new church of Loudéac.
The church of Notre-Dame de la Tronchaye, which takes its name from a statue of the Virgin found in a hollow trunk, has some remarkable Romanesque parts, notably the bell tower. In the 15th and 16th centuries, under the authority of the de Rieux family, it was erected as a collegiate church and, afterwards, underwent some embellishment work. During the Revolution, the church was used as a depot and store. Then in the 19th century, other transformations modified the building and its surroundings. It did not finally take on its present appearance until 1924 and was classified as a Historic Monument shortly afterwards, in 1931.
Share this page
How is Religiana helping to conserve and promote Religious Heritage in Europe and why should you get involved?