Orval Abbey

Notre-Dame d'Orval Abbey, generally called Orval Abbey, is a Trappist monastery. Founded by the Benedictines in the 11th century, it was attached to the Order of Cîteaux in 1131. Secularized at the end of the 18th century, the buildings were then abandoned. In 1926, the monastery was rebuilt and in 1936, the monastery regained its status as an abbey. The abbey is known for its brewery, which has been operational since 1931.

About this building

Other nearby buildings

Wikimedia Commons

Abbey Church of Notre-Dame

Notre-Dame de Mouzon Abbey is the former church of the abbey of Mouzon, in the Ardennes in France. The evolution of this abbey in the Middle Ages is linked to the relics sheltered in this place, in particular those of Saint Victor and Saint Arnoul. Object of an ostentatious cult, these relics became sources of material income. The influx of pilgrims imposed the construction of this building, in the 12th and 13th centuries, which was inspired by the first Gothic-style buildings, but already heralded, by certain technical choices, a second generation. The dimensions are relatively small.

Wikimedia Commons

Church of Notre-Dame de Malmy

Romanesque church of the 13th century. The square tower that rises above the old transept, now deprived of its side aisles, dates from the Romanesque period, as do the flat chevet and the large arcades. The rough-styled portal, with an irregular tonic hanger engraved with leaves, is undoubtedly posterior to the whole.

Wikimedia Commons

Church of Saint-Juvin

It's a fortified church. Built between 1615 and 1624, Saint-Juvin is a real little fortress: high and thick walls, narrow windows, corner towers... Claude de Joyeuse (Count of Grandpré), the parish priest Didier Mauclerc and the inhabitants of Saint-Juvin took part in its construction.