About this building
The cemetery began to be used in the 15th century after King Vladislaus II closed the Jewish Garden (the city's oldest cemetery) in 1478. It remained in use until 1786. Due to the large number of people buried in a limited space, the burials took place "in layers". In some cases remains of up to 10 layers have been found.
Many Jewish personalities are buried here, among them Rabbi Judah Loew Ben Bezalel, known as the Maharal of Prague; the businessman and mayor of Prague Mordecai Maisel; and the Renaissance scholar, historian, mathematician and astronomer, David Gans.