Regensburg's new parish church was built between 1519 and 1540 on the remains of a former synagogue in Regensburg's Jewish quarter. The expulsion of the Jews from Regensburg in 1519 made it possible to erect the new church, which was intended to be the centre of a Marian pilgrimage. In 1542, however, Regensburg converted to the Protestant-Lutheran denomination and the city council made the church the first Protestant parish church in the city.
The Synagogue in Straubing is an Ashkenazi synagogue built in 1905-07, restored in 1988. This stone building still serves as a synagogue.
The pilgrimage church of Maria Hilf was founded in 1984 as a chapel of the Capuchin monastery of Neumarkt. Due to the popularity of the chapel as a pilgrimage destination, a baroque church was built on the site from 1718 to 1727, its tower was completed later in 1757. After a period of decline in the 19th century due to the departure of the Capuchins in 1802, the church was restored as a place of pilgrimage by the Carmelites who founded a monastery nearby in 1907.