Rolduc Abbey

Rolduc Abbey is a former abbey from the 12th century, which is said to have been founded in 1104 by Pastor Ailbertus van Antoing. In addition to the abbey church, the vast complex includes an abbey building in Mosan Renaissance style (abbey wing and water tower, 1671), an 18th-century Baroque abbey wing, the monastery farm dating largely from the 18th century and other economic buildings. The crypt of the abbey church is famous for its 12th century carved capitals, which are among the highlights of Mosan art. The Romanesque columns themselves, sometimes spiral-shaped or decorated with zigzag patterns, are of great beauty.

About this building

Key Features

  • Architecture
  • Monuments
  • Interior features

Visitors information

  • Car park at the building
  • Café in the building

Other nearby buildings

Aachen Cathedral

The Aachen Cathedral, built on the former Palatine Chapel of the Palace of Charlemagne (800-814), is the most important architectural example of the Carolingian Renaissance. The Aachen Cathedral is a heterogeneous structure, influenced by many stylistic epochs, characterized by numerous breaks and extensions. To symbolically anchor their reign in the wake of that of Charlemagne, a large portion of the rulers of the Holy Roman Empire, between 936 and 1531, were crowned here.

Wikimedia Commons/Horsch, Willy

Palatine Chapel

The Palatine Chapel of Aachen was built between 792 and 804 by Odon of Metz (742-814). It was Charlemagne's private chapel in Aachen, which was part of his palatine complex. It contains the remains of Charlemagne and was a place of coronation for about 600 years. In the 21st century, the chapel has been preserved almost intact, despite later additions and major repairs in the 19th century. As part of Aachen Cathedral, it is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.

Wikimedia Commons/Horsch, Willy

St. Michael's Church

St. Michael's Church was built in 1628 as the monastery church of the Jesuit community in Aachen. With the abolition of the Jesuit order in September 1773, the church was closed and during the French period, it was converted into a grain store. In 1804 it became a Catholic parish church. In 1987, the church was acquired by the Greek Orthodox parish of St. Dimitrios.