About this building
1246: Beginning of the work on this chapel, which was to be a reliquary (to house the relics of the Holy Crown of Thorns).
1248: The Sainte-Chapelle is consecrated.
1383: reconstruction of the spire replaced in 1460, destroyed in 1793 (civil use of the building)
Between 1485-1495: rose window on the western façade.
Second half of the 19th century: restorations. Three architects succeeded each other at the head of the site: Félix Duban (from 1836 to 1848), Jean-Baptiste Lassus (from 1848 to 1857) and Emile Boeswillwald. Viollet-le-Duc sometimes strengthens the group, but he never takes the lead in restorations. The remains of the south staircase were first destroyed (1849) and then an arrow was replaced (1853). In 1857, the interior decoration was almost entirely completed.