Santa Maria de Montserrat Abbey
In 1025, Oliba, Abbot of Ripoll and Bishop of Vic, founded a new monastery at the hermitage of Santa Maria de Montserrat. In 1409 the monastery of Montserrat became an independent abbey. From 1493 to 1835 Montserrat went through a period of growth as part of the Valladolid Congregation. During the Spanish Civil War, the monastery was abandoned but the government saved Montserrat from being sacked or ruined. Now Montserrat has been modernised to attend to the needs of current pilgrims.
About this building
For more information on this building visit https://www.montserratvisita.com/en/history