Kristinehamn Church, designed by the architect Carl Georg Brunius in 1846 and built from 1847 to 1858, is one of the earliest examples of neo-Gothic architecture in Sweden. Kristinehamn Church is the second church in the city. When Kristinehamn was granted town rights in 1642, the old parish church in Varnum was moved to Kristinehamn, about 300 metres northwest of the present church site. This old church was abandoned in 1858 when the new church was completed.
Mariestad Cathedral, built between 1593 and 1619, is not the main church in the diocese of Skara (that title is held by Skara Cathedral). The plan is that of a late neo-Gothic church, with crossed arms, lancet windows, pointed columns and internal white cross vaults. The chancel has a three-sided end and has been copied extensively in the diocese. The unadorned natural stone facades and the spire were only added in 1905 during the restoration by Folke Zettervall.
Östra Fågelviks church was started in 1715 and work proceeded in stages until 1726, when a stone church with a typical plan of the time, consisting of a rectangular nave and a three-sided choir, was completed. Prior to this, there had been a wooden church on the same site since 1691. It burned down only after a decade of existence.