Spaso-Preobrazhensky Cathedral

The Spaso-Preobrazhensky Cathedral is an Orthodox church that was built at the time of the city's foundation in the early 1680s. The five-domed cathedral, with a cross-shaped plan, was consecrated in 1684 and in 1751 it was renewed after repairs. From 1846 to 1866, the church was enlarged by adding a vestibule and a bell tower on the west side. In 1902-03 the building was rebuilt according to the design of the engineer M.I.Lovtsov: the pear-shaped domes were replaced by onion-shaped domes and corbelled arches were placed above the vaults. In the 1930s the church was closed and at the beginning of the Second World War the cathedral was looted and used as a warehouse. In the autumn of 1941, the Soviet army blew up the bell tower and the narthex during its retreat. In 1953-55, the cathedral was rebuilt in large moulded bricks, as it was, according to the restorers, before the renovations in the early 20th century.

About this building

Key Features

  • Architecture
  • Monuments

Visitors information

  • Bus stop within 100m
  • Café within 500m

Other nearby buildings

Sviatohirsk Lavra

Lavra Svyatogorsk is an Orthodox monastery whose first mention dates from 1526. At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, there were 600 monks in the monastery. Neglected during the Soviet period, the monastery was restored in 1992.

Wikimedia Commons/EvgenyGenkin

Cathedral of the Dormition of the Mother of God

The Cathedral of the Dormition of the Mother of God was the most important Ukrainian Orthodox church in Kharkiv until the construction of the Annunciation Cathedral in 1901. The first mention of the cathedral in written sources dates back to 1658. However, the present cathedral was built in the years 1771-1777 in the style of Russian Baroque. To commemorate the victory over Napoleon, a 90-metre high bell tower was built in the years 1821-1844. In 1929, the atheist authorities closed the cathedral, demolished its domes and removed the bell from the tower. The decorative elements of the façade were also destroyed. In the 1950s, however, several renovations took place. A tornado damaged the tower in 1975.