St. Nicholas Church is one of the oldest buildings in the city of Ghent. Built in the 13th and 14th centuries on the site of an old Romanesque church, the church displays a particular form of Gothic style: the Scheldt Gothic.
Saint James' church was first built in 1093 and was the first in the Low Countries to be dedicated to Saint James. The church was remodelled, first in a baroque style (1733 - 1784) and later brought back to its medieval state (1866 - 1906). The sacrament tower of the church was made by Duquesnoy, who also made the Manneken Pis in Brussels.
The St. Michael's Church was first mentioned as an independent parish church in 1147 and earlier mention of a church dates from 1105. In the 17th century, a project was started by the local guilds to built an enormous tower that would surpass the one at Antwerp by at least 10 meters, that project was finally abandoned in the 1820s. Among its treasures is a fine altar piece by Van Dyck, as well as some very interesting modern stained glass windows by Michel Martens.