Lacock Abbey is packed with history. It started as an abbey and nunnery, then became a Tudor family home. The last owners were the Talbots, a caring close knit family that loved their home in Lacock. In the 19th century it was home to William Henry Fox Talbot. In 1835 he made what may be the earliest surviving photographic camera negative, an image of one of the windows.
St Martin's was built c1200. It was altered in 1850 and 1864 with only the tower and other Perpendicular work left untouched. It has a square 14th century tower with gargoyles and battlements and a large porch where the Roses of York and Lancaster show it as a Henry VII addition.
Some of the earliest evidence of habitation here comes from fragments of Roman settlements. Discoveries from archaeological digs have revealed the remains of a large Roman Villa decorated with well preserved mosaic on the playing grounds of St Laurence School.