St. Michael's Church, Hildesheim

St. Michael's Church is an Ottonian, pre-Romanesque church founded in 1010. Until the Reformation it was the abbey church of the Benedictine abbey of the same name. Today it is a Protestant-Lutheran parish church. Since 1985, the church, together with Hildesheim Cathedral, has been a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site.

About this building

Key Features

  • Architecture
  • Monuments
  • Links to national heritage
  • Famous people or stories

Visitors information

  • Bus stop within 100m
  • Café within 500m

Other nearby buildings

Wikimedia Commons/Roland Struwe

Hildesheim Cathedral

St. Mary of the Ascension Cathedral in Hildesheim was founded 872. Almost completely rebuilt in the 1950s in its original Romanesque style, its walls and treasury are now listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Baroque interior design of the cathedral was the work of Justus Wehmer (1690-1750). During the Second World War, the cathedral was almost completely destroyed and was rebuilt between 1950 and 1960. The site of the cathedral is famous for a curiosity that can be seen on the outside of the buildings: the "thousand-year-old rose bush". This rosebush grows against an apse in the inner courtyard of the cloister. The exact age of the rosebush has not yet been estimated.

Flickr/Ulf Ostländer


This 14th-century cathedral was built on the site of a former 12th-century Romanesque church and an even older chapel. It was the site of where the reformation began in Hanover. The church was destroyed in an air-raid during the Second World War, leaving only the tower and some walls. Today it stands as a war memorial, featuring a sculpture, dedicated in 1959 and a peace bell donated from Hanover's sister city, Hiroshima, Japan.

Wikimedia Commons/Christian A. Schröder


This 14th-century church is the main Lutheran church of the city of Hanover. It is the southernmost example of the North Germanic brick-gothic style and has one of the highest towers in Lower-Saxony. The roof and vaults were destroyed during an air-raid in 1943 but were restored in 1952.