Sucevita Monastery

Located in the village with the same name, the Sucevita monastery was built between 1581 and 1601, on the expenses of a noble family, Movila: Ieremia was on the Moldavian throne between 1595 and 1606 and his brother Simon, who was the ruler of Valachia for a short period. The church with the Resurrection as its patron day was built in the Moldavian architecture, a style consolidated during the time of Stephen the Great and which combines in an harmonious way elements of Gothic and Byzantine art with specific architectural elements of the old wooden churches from Moldova. The exterior painting of the Sucevita monastery on a green background is the best preserved among the group of the Moldavian churches with exterior frescoes. The Ladder of Virtues, a masterpiece of the Romanian medieval painting, is the most impressive due to its dimension and the contrast between the order of the angels and the chaos of the Hell. Values of medieval art like embroderies, silver, manuscripts, wooden sculptures and icons are conserved and displayed in the monastery's museum.

About this building

Key Features

  • Architecture
  • Monuments
  • Interior features
  • Links to national heritage

Other nearby buildings

Arbore Church

The church with the patron Saint John the Baptist's Beheading from the village of Arbore is the foundation of the noble Luca Arbore, from 1503, during Stephen the Great ruling. The exterior paintings were made in 1541, on a green background. Here the painters used 5 shadows and 47 nuances, in combination with red, blue, yellow, pink and ochre. The recipe of the colours used for the frscoes is still unknown, the secret of the vegetal colours and of their combinations was buried with the Moldavian painters.

Moldovita Monastery

The Moldovita Monastery was founded by Petru Rares in 1532 and it was consacrated to the Annunciation celebration. Some of the exterior frescoes, like Jesse's Tree, the Assault of Constantinople and the Prayer Hymn of the Annunciation, have a distinct esthetic and Christian spiritual value among the exterior mural painting.

Humor Monastery

The church of the Humor Monastery was built in 1530, during the ruling of Petru Rares, by his faithful Chancellor Toader Bubuiog and his wife Anastasia. The church was consacrated to the Assumption of the Holy Virgin. Prince Petru Rares had an initiative of reconstruction the old monastic Moldavian buldings and of decoration with frescoes the exterior walls. At Humor Monastery, the dominant colour of the background is red. The painting reflects a perfect harmony between the characteristic elements of the Byzantine art, originated in the Eastern Church theology and the gift of the local creator.