Tallinn Cathedral is the main Evangelical Lutheran church in Estonia. It dates back to the 13th century, probably to the first half of this century. Between 1430 and 1460 the church building was reconstructed as a three-nave basilica. The church and a large part of the buildings in Toompea were destroyed in the fire of the Toompea district in 1684. The Gothic-style bell tower of the cathedral was destroyed, so a new Baroque bell tower was built in 1778-1779.
Aleksander Nevsky Cathedral is a 19th-century Orthodox church. The construction of this sanctuary, based on Russian church architecture, began in 1894 and was completed in 1900. The church was named after Alexander Nevsky (1220-1263), the Prince of Novgorod. When Estonia gained its independence after the First World War, the Estonian authorities wanted to demolish it as it was the symbol of a period of Russian occupation. However, after the Bolshevik revolution, there were a large number of Russian refugees in the capital and the cathedral was not demolished. It was, however, closed by the German authorities who invaded Estonia in 1941. It was only regained its use after Estonia's independence in 1991.
The Church of Charles is a neo-Romanesque church built between 1862 and 1870 according to the plan of the architects Otto Pius Hippius and Rudolf von Bernhard. A church has existed here since medieval times. In 1670, a wooden church was consecrated on this site, sponsored by Charles XI of Sweden, whose name remains that of the church. The building was burnt down by Sweden during the Great Northern War in 1710, when troops of the Tsarist state of Moscow approached Tallinn.