Tintern Abbey

Tintern Abbey was founded in 1131 and was the second foundation of the Cistercian Order in Britain in the Middle Ages (after Waverley), and the first in Wales. The abbey was popular among pilgrims because the abbey church contained a statue of the Virgin Mary, believed to be miraculous. In 1536 Tintern Abbey was closed and the site was attributed to Henry Somerset, Earl of Worcester, who used the buildings (except for the Abbey Church) for a variety of purposes such as housing, crafts and even as a stone quarry. The abbey is now in ruins.

About this building

Key Features

  • Architecture
  • Monuments

Visitors information

  • Bus stop within 100m
  • Café within 500m

Other nearby buildings

St. Mary Magdalene Church

The foundation stone of the St. Mary Magdalene church was laid on August 5, 1858, and the church was consecrated on March 13, 1860. However, additions such as the north nave, the tower and its spire and the south transseptal chapel made the construction of the church last until 1883.


Holy Trinity

The origins of Abbots Leigh and the Church of Holy Trinity are lost in the mists of time, but there are definite indications of a Celtic Settlement well before the Roman invasion. Later, the Saxons came and drove out or subjugated the Celts and settled in the area. A hermitage or small chapel was built nearby.

J Russiello/Flickr

St Dubricius

Hentland was the Collegiate Church or monastery of St Dyfrig (alias Dubricius), the famous 6th century Bishop of Glywysing & Gwent. As such it is, even today, a popular place of pilgrimage.