Troia Cathedral

Troia Cathedral is a Latin cross building built between 1093 and 1125. The building, of undeniable architectural interest, is dedicated to the Virgin Mary assumed into heaven and is built in the Pugliese Romanesque style. The church was built on the basis of a pre-existing Byzantine building and with reused materials from the ancient Roman town. In the 13th century the presbytery was first completed by the construction of the cross vault of the choir and then the rose windows on the main façade were built.

About this building

Key Features

  • Architecture

Visitors information

  • Café within 500m

Other nearby buildings

Wikimedia Commons/Gianfranco Vitolo

Bovino Cathedral

The Cathedral of Bovino, already existed before the year 1000, as its historical documentation begins at the end of the 10th century when the bishop of that time rebuilt or restored the old cathedral in the form we know today. Further work was carried out between 1188 and 1231 when the building was converted to the Romanesque style. At the same time, the adjacent church of San Marco de Eca was incorporated into the cathedral, adjoining the presbytery, and consecrated on 18 June 1197. In 1930, the cathedral was destroyed by an earthquake and rebuilt as it was.

Wikimedia Commons/antonio carbone

Lucera Cathedral

The Basilica Cathedral of Lucera is an example of Gothic-Anjou architecture, built by order of Charles II of Anjou and consecrated in 1302. Traces of the ancient cathedral, sacked in 663 by the Byzantine Emperor Constantius II, were lost over the following centuries, probably falling into ruin in the 13th century when Frederick II deported the Saracens from Sicily to the city. During the 16th and 17th centuries, the cathedral was renovated in the Baroque style with the addition of four side chapels.

Wikimedia Commons

Church of Our Lady of Sorrows

The Church of Our Lady of Sorrows was built from 1739 to 1741 in the Baroque style. The church was built to house the brotherhood of Maria SS. dei Sette Dolori which was first based in the church of S. Eligio (from 1711 to 1715), then in the church of Succorpo (from 1715 to 1741) and finally settled in the church of Our Lady of Sorrows.