Yelets Assumption Monastery

The Yelets Assumption Monastery of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church is one of the oldest monasteries in Ukraine, founded in 1060 by Prince Sviatoslav II of Kiev. It was destroyed in 1239 during the Mongol invasion. In 1623 it was restored under the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and handed over to the Greek Catholic Church. In 1649 it was taken over by the Orthodox and was completely rebuilt in the Ukrainian Baroque style between 1669 and 1688.

About this building

Key Features

  • Architecture
  • Monuments

Visitors information

  • Bus stop within 100m

Other nearby buildings

Wikimedia Commons/Kovalvl

Transfiguration Cathedral

The Transfiguration Cathedral was founded around 1036 and is, therefore, one of the oldest cathedrals in Kievan Rus. In 1239, the church was partially destroyed by the Mongol army of Batu Khan. Further damage was caused in 1611 during the Polish-Lithuanian conquest of Chernihiv. After being rebuilt in 1675, the church was again severely damaged by fire in 1750 but was restored between 1770 and 1799. The façade was plastered and the interior was renovated in the Baroque and Classical style.

Wikimedia Commons/Hillock65

St Nicholas Cathedral

St Nicholas Cathedral is an early Baroque Orthodox cathedral. The present church, which probably dates from 1650-1660, was built on the site of an earlier wooden church at the expense of Ivan and Vasyl Zolotarenko. The Baroque cathedral became an architectural model for other churches of the same style throughout Ukraine. From 1920 to 1939, the cathedral was used as a warehouse. After 1946, until 1990, it housed a local cultural centre.

Wikimedia Commons/Dasty5

Ilyinskaya Church

The Ilyinskaya Church is a church of Old Believers, a monument of Belarusian wooden architecture of the late 18th century. It was built in 1773-1774 and consecrated on September 28, 1794. In 1850, the hermitage and the church were closed, from 1852 the church became active again.