On this relatively small island of Lake Megali Prespa stretching into northern Macedonia, Albania and Greece, a large number of historical and cultural monuments are concentrated. The Golem Grad island has been inhabited continuously for 2000 years and the monastic life was thriving there from the 10th century until the 14th century. Thus, there are no less than seven remains of churches. Among them, the Church of St Peter of Golem Grad, the only fully preserved church. Built around 1360, its reconstruction was last carried out in 1934. The church has many frescoes to admire inside.
The church of St. John the Theologian was built in 1861. During the uprising in Ilinden-Preobrazhenie in 1903, it was burnt down, and in 1921 it was rebuilt. The church is built as a three-nave basilica with a dome, the central nave is half-cylinder vaulted, and the side is covered with flat ceilings. There is a gallery inside on the west side, and on the east side, it ends with a polygonal apse on the outside. The temple is made of stone, and the arches and vaults are made of wood.
The Church of the Nativity of the Most Holy Mother of God is the church of the Slivnica Monastery. The monastery church was built in 1607, while the monastery dwelling and other surrounding buildings were erected before the church was built. The enclosed porch and the bell tower were built in the 19th century. The church has one of the most important paintings of the post-Byzantine period in Macedonia.