According to the legend, the foundation stone of St. Andrew's Church was laid by the apostle Andrew (1st century). In 1112, Prince Mstislav I had the wooden church of the Exaltation of the Cross built here, which stood until 1560. After that, the site remained empty and served as a rampart for the nearby fortress. Empress Elisabeth of Russia (1741-1762), during her visit to Kyiv in 1744, ordered the construction of a court church on the site of the cross in honour of the Apostle Andrew, who was also the patron saint of the Tsarist Empire. After its consecration in 1767, the church was renovated several times, but no significant changes were made. Because of its lightness and plasticity, the church is called a "flying church". Its artistic expression and originality make St Andrew's Church one of the masterpieces of Ukrainian architecture of the 18th century.
St Sophia's Cathedral, named after St Sophia's Cathedral in Constantinople, was built in 1037 by the Kievan Prince Yaroslav the Wise (978-1054) as a burial place for Kievan rulers. The cathedral was first sacked in 1169 by Andrey Bogolyubsky of the Vladimir-Suzdal principality, and in 1240 by the Mongols, who made it fall into disuse. After the Union of Brest (1595-1596), St. Sophia Cathedral was annexed to the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church until it was recovered by the Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Peter Mogila in 1633. Mogila commissioned repairs and the upper part of the building was almost completely rebuilt, in the Ukrainian Baroque style, retaining the Byzantine interior. At the end of the reconstruction, in 1740, the cathedral took on its present appearance. The building has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1990.
The Karaite Synagogue is a former synagogue built between 1898 and 1902 by the architect Vladislav Gorodetsky. The building is distinguished by its luxurious Moorish and Arabic decoration. The synagogue was intended for Kiev's Karaite community (about 300 people at the time) but was closed shortly afterwards under the Soviet regime. Since 1981, the House of Republican Actors has been housed there.