Great Choral Synagogue, Kyiv

The Great Choral Synagogue is the oldest synagogue in Kyiv, built in 1895 in a Moorish revival style. Its construction was financed by Gabriel Yakob Rozenberg, a merchant.

About this building

It is also known as Podil Synagogue (after the neighbourhood where it is located) or the Rozenberg Synagogue (after Gabriel-Yakov Rozenberg, the merchant who commissioned its construction).

The synagogue was built at a time when many restrictions existed against the construction of Jewish temples, imposed by the Russian Empire. Therefore, the synagogue was built to resemble a building for other purposes. These synagogues are known as Aesopian synagogues.

The synagogue was closed in 1929 and used as a horse stable during the German occupation of Kyiv. Before the proclamation of Ukraine’s independence, it was the only functioning Jewish temple in Kyiv. Today it remains an active synagogue.

Key Features

  • Architecture
  • Monuments

Other nearby buildings

Wikimedia Commons/Kamelot

Ar-Rahma Mosque

The Ar-Rahma Mosque was built between 1996 and 2011 for the Muslim community in Kyiv. In 1897, according to official data, 1759 Muslims lived in Kyiv. On 3 October 1897, by decision of the city administration, a house of prayer was opened in a house, a two-storey wooden building which has not survived to the present day. On 29 October 1913, Governor Mikhail Sukovkin laid the foundation stone of the first stone mosque in Gogolivska Street. However, the mosque was not built during the First World War, then during the October Revolution, and later the construction was hampered by the Second World War.

St Andrew's Church

According to the legend, the foundation stone of St. Andrew's Church was laid by the apostle Andrew (1st century). In 1112, Prince Mstislav I had the wooden church of the Exaltation of the Cross built here, which stood until 1560. After that, the site remained empty and served as a rampart for the nearby fortress. Empress Elisabeth of Russia (1741-1762), during her visit to Kyiv in 1744, ordered the construction of a court church on the site of the cross in honour of the Apostle Andrew, who was also the patron saint of the Tsarist Empire. After its consecration in 1767, the church was renovated several times, but no significant changes were made. Because of its lightness and plasticity, the church is called a "flying church". Its artistic expression and originality make St Andrew's Church one of the masterpieces of Ukrainian architecture of the 18th century.

St. Michael's Golden-Domed Monastery

The golden-domed monastery of St. Michael is the cathedral of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. Built in 1108-1113, the building was rebuilt in a Baroque style in the 18th century. Demolished by the soviets, the church did not reopen before 1999.