About this building
Middelkerke became an independent parish in 1293, but their church flooded in 1334. The building was destroyed in 1576 because of the wars of religion. The south aisle was restored in 1635 and the tower, which now served as the west tower, in 1681. The building was demolished again from 1848 until 1850, but the tower was preserved. A new church was built in neo-Gothic style. During the First World War, the church and tower were shelled by the Allies and blown up by the German occupier in 1915. From 1919 until 1921, the church was rebuilt to a design by Gustaaf Vandamme, whereby the destroyed church was reconstructed as much as possible. From 1932-1935 the church was greatly expanded, with the existing church with choir still serving as an extension of the nave, now transverse to the new church, which was constructed in a neo-Romanesque style in a south-north orientation. This last design was also by Gustaaf Vandamme.
The Synagogue in Ostend is an Ashkenazi synagogue built in 1910-11 by architect Joseph De Lange. This stone building still serves as a synagogue.
The Russian Orthodox Church "Mother of God Parish, Consoler of the Afflicted" and its adjacent monastery were founded in the 1980s. The monastery is housed in a low house for agricultural workers, which is believed to have been built around 1903. In 1988, the small church was built by the architect Hugo Dezutter, allegedly on the model of a wooden church in Novgorod. The colourful roofs with the large hexagonal rider and the smaller onion-shaped tower make the church a real icon.