About this building
The Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, listed as an historical monument, is located in Warhem, Hauts-de-France. The first religious services were celebrated there in 1208 by Bauduin Samuel, monk of the abbey of Bergues. Of this first church, destroyed in the sixteenth century, only the tower remains.
Following the damage caused by ‘The Revolt of the Beggars’ in 1566 and 1567, the choir and side chapels were rebuilt. It is a "church-hall" with three Gothic style naves and a powerful square tower topped with an octagonal spire.
The church is furnished with remarkable furniture, including a tribune organ, a light bulb of Saint Chrem, an altar-tabernacle, a carved group of Holy Sepulcher, a Stations of the Cross and various priestly objects.