Church of Saint-Martin

The Church of Saint-Martin is located in Looberghe, in the Hauts-de-France region. The original church, burned by the English in 1435, was rebuilt in the eighteenth century, thanks to a special tax. It has an imposing choir and two lower side chevats whose pilasters accentuate the "eighteenth" silhouette. Inside, one will notice the classified organ, installed in 1715.

About this building

The Church of Saint-Martin is located in Looberghe, in the Hauts-de-France region. The original church, burned by the English in 1435, was rebuilt in the eighteenth century, thanks to a special tax. It has an imposing choir and two lower side chevets, whose pilasters accentuate the "eighteenth" silhouette.

The tower on the facade is massive; twin windows illuminate the bell chamber and a large opening overlooks the central entrance. It is topped by an elegant spire with hooks and a perforated railing. The building includes a central vessel, two aisles, a transept, a choir, two chapels, a bell tower, a sacristy, and a catechism room.

Inside, there is a classified organ that was installed in 1715.

Key Features

  • Architecture

Other nearby buildings

Sauvegarde de l'Art Français

Church of Saint-Omer

The Saint-Omer church is located in Ochtezeele, in the Hauts-de-France region. The church was built on the foundations of a former 12th century oratory, whose main facade can still be seen on the western side, and is the main witness to the original Romanesque style building. The enlargement of the building took place in the 15th-16th century. Built on a church-hall plan, very popular in the coastal region, the church includes an octagonal bell tower which is one of the highest in Flanders.

Wikimedia Commons/Velvet

Église Saint-Éloi

The church of Saint-Eloi, known as the cathedral of Les Sables, dates from the middle of the 15th century. In 1558, the French led by the marshal de Thermes invaded the town and burned the church. Only the tower remained. The reconstruction of the church began around 1560 under the direction of the master-builder Jean de Renneville. The old tower, separated from the new church by part of the ruins of the first church, remained isolated and was used as a belfry. The belfry is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site under the title Belfries of Belgium and France.

Immaculée-Conception de Saint-Omer Church

As early as 1825, the parishioners of Haut-Pont claimed a church to meet the growing influx of faithful. The architect from Lille, Charles Leroy, had his plan imposed and laid the first stone on 4 October 1854 and the church was inaugurated on 8 October 1859, even though it was not completely finished by that date (end of around 1879).