The Fauske Church, designed and built by builder B. Sneve from Bodø and consecrated in 1869, is a typical long church, characterised by a mixture of relatively simple Swiss style and Gothic Revival style, with a choir in the east and a tower in the west.
Fåvang church is a cross church, dating from 1300, built with the planks of a former stave church. A square tower with a high spire is located above the centre of the cross. In 1900-01 major renovations of the church were carried out. New, larger windows were carved from the boards of the old moat church. In 1949, a major restoration was started again with the aim of returning the church to the state it was in before 1901.
The Fécamp Abbey is a Benedictine abbey founded in the 7th century as a pilgrimage centre for the Precious Blood of Christ. From the 11th century, Benedictine monks settled there at the instigation of the Duke of Normandy who had their ducal castle in Fécamp. The abbey presents a primitive Gothic style with some Romanesque chapels and interesting interior decorations from the 15th and 16th centuries. The abbey is well known as the birthplace of the Benedictine liqueur, whose recipe was rediscovered in 1863 by a local merchant.
The church of Feda is a wooden cruciform church built in 1800-02. In 1820 the church received its coverings and an octagonal eaves. The small-paned windows and doors have been preserved from the time of construction. The interior is characterised by a simple empire style.
Fedje Church is a long church built in 1941 and designed by the architect Ole Halvorsen. The first church in Fedje was built in 1659. The church is built of brick, a material better suited than wood to the harsh marine climate of Fedje, and the tower is clad in copper.
The church of Feios was built in 1866 and replaced a moat church on the site. The church is built according to the plans of the architect Jacob Wilhelm Nordan and the builder Johannes Arnesen Øvsthus. The interior is characterised by the Swiss and neo-Gothic style and has remained almost unchanged since the time of construction.
Feiring Church is a log church with an exterior cladding, built in 1875 according to the plans of the builder Gudbrand Johnsen. The church is typical of the period and well preserved. Inside it underwent some changes in 1941-42 when the interior was given new colours and the choir ceiling was decorated by Anders Stenberg. The church's stained glass windows are from the same period and were made by Borgar Hauglid.
The Evangelic church and the ruins of the Teutonic Knights’ fortress, separated only by a ditch, are the pride of Feldioara. The 13th century Romanesque basilica with three aisles and a later added bell tower shows an interesting particularity, a vaulted gallery at the second level of the tower dedicated to the founder of the church. During the 18th century the tower is provided with a roof, constructed after the model of the Black Church in Braşov. The interior of the church is covered with crossed vaults, which in the chancel are supported by half-column piers. Their capitals are decorated with vegetal, anthropomorphic and biblical motifs. From the pre-reformation altar only few parts were preserved and moved later to the Black Church. From the curtain wall only some remains still exist, while the boulder walls of the nearby Teutonic fortress still stand. The latter’s defence walls were 4m thick and enforced with four towers. The remains of a chapel within the enclosure can still be seen today.
The Feldkirch Cathedral was built in the 13th century in the Romanesque style with only two naves due to limited space. The original church was badly damaged during the town fires of 1348, 1396 and 1460 and in 1478 it was rebuilt and consecrated under the architect Hans Sturn with a late Gothic nave and a gable roof. In 1479, the church tower to the north was completed. Around 1520, the present choir hall was built under a lower gable roof.
Felle Chapel is a long church built in 1971. The town's cemetery had a tool shed which was destroyed in a flood in 1968. It was planned to build a funeral chapel to replace it.
Religiana, a project by Future for Religious Heritage, presents a catalogue of beatiful and inspiring buildings, helping you experience Europe's history, today!
Click here to add your building to the Religiana catalogue
St. Martin's Church, Landshut