The Royal Archcathedral Basilica of Saints Stanislaus and Wenceslaus on the Wawel Hill was founded by the construction of a first building around the year 1000. Thereafter, succeeded a Romanesque church in the 12th century and finally a Gothic church in the 14th. The cathedral is a UNESCO World Heritage since 1978.
The Weifenbach church, built in 1711, is one of the half-timbered churches in Hesse. The church has an octagonal turret and is furnished as a transverse church.
The Evangelical Lutheran wooden church was inaugurated in 1889 in the rich district of Weisser Hirsch. From 2012 to 2014, the interior of the church was completely rearranged: the painter Gerda Lepke created the new altarpiece "The community of believers" and the sculptor Hans-Volker Mixsa designed the furniture corresponding to the area of the altar.
The Cathedral of St Andrew in Wells was built from 1180 to 1490, and it combines different trends in English Gothic architecture. One of the major innovations of this building was the addition in the 14th century of "inverted arches" or "scissor arches" at the crossing of the transept.
The Wendelsteinkircherl, or Wendelstein Chapel, was built between 1889 and 1890. It is the highest church in Germany, standing at an altitude of 1,838 metres. Before this church there was a wooden chapel dating from 1718.
The Wertheimer Schul in Eisenstadt is an Ashkenazi synagogue completed in 1834, restored in 1979. In use until 1938, this Neo-Classical brick synagogue is now a museum.
The West London Synagogue is an Ashkenazi synagogue built in 1869-70, restored in 1897 and 1908. This stone building in the Neo-Romanesque and Neo-Moorish style still serves as a synagogue.
The Westend Synagogue was built from 1908 to 1910 in the Art Nouveau style. It was the only one of the four former large synagogues to survive the November 1938 pogroms and World War II bombings. In 1950, the synagogue was reopened after a temporary renovation and then faithfully restored from 1989 to 1994.
The Amsterdam Westerkerk is a Calvinist church built between 1620 and 1631 in a Baroque style.
The church of Westernijtsjerk was probably built at the end of the thirteenth century with remnants of a former estate houd: Jeppema Estate. In the fifteenth century the church was renewed and enlarged. The interior of the church is of great beauty.