Pechersk Lavra (Cave Monastery) is an Orthodox monastic complex in Kyiv. It was founded in 1051 as a cave monastery by monks from Mount Athos in Greece. In its early years, the monastery consisted of churches, chapels and cells built of wood, but as early as 1073, work began on the construction of a stone cathedral, the forerunner of the present Dormition Cathedral, which was completed in 1089. In the early modern period, the monastery became a centre of Orthodox pilgrimage for the entire Russian Empire. The 17th and 18th centuries were periods of great renewal for the monastery, which grew to its present size, including the most significant representations of Baroque and Rococo painting and architecture. In 1994, it was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.
St George's Cathedral is the central building of the Vydubychi Monastery complex in Kiev. It is one of the best masterpieces of Ukrainian Baroque. The church was built in honour of St George at the expense of Colonel Mykhailo Myklashevsky between 1696 and 1701. In the following years, with the support of Danylo Apostol, a three-storey bell tower was built. During the Soviet regime, the cathedral was closed and in 1967 a fire completely destroyed the interior, including the frescoes. The monastery buildings were returned to the church in 1998.
The Lazar Brodsky Synagogue in Kiev is a neo-Russian style synagogue from 1897-98. The architects of the synagogue are Georgii Shleifer for the initial building, and Yu. Paskevich for the restoration in 2000. The synagogue was taken out of use between 1926 and 1997.