Kyiv Pechersk Lavra

Pechersk Lavra (Cave Monastery) is an Orthodox monastic complex in Kyiv. It was founded in 1051 as a cave monastery by monks from Mount Athos in Greece. In its early years, the monastery consisted of churches, chapels and cells built of wood, but as early as 1073, work began on the construction of a stone cathedral, the forerunner of the present Dormition Cathedral, which was completed in 1089. In the early modern period, the monastery became a centre of Orthodox pilgrimage for the entire Russian Empire. The 17th and 18th centuries were periods of great renewal for the monastery, which grew to its present size, including the most significant representations of Baroque and Rococo painting and architecture. In 1994, it was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.

About this building

Key Features

  • Architecture
  • Monuments
  • Interior features
  • Links to national heritage
  • Famous people or stories

Visitors information

  • Bus stop within 100m
  • On street parking at the building
  • Café within 500m

Other nearby buildings

Wikimedia Commons/Misha Reme

Gate Church of the Trinity

The Trinity Gate Church is the main entrance to the Kiev Cave Lavra. It was built in the early 12th century, after which it was rebuilt several times. Originally close to the sacred buildings of the Kiev Rus' (860-1240), the Trinity Gate Church is now decorated in the Ukrainian Baroque style. The church survived the earthquake of 1230 and the Mongol invasion of 1240. However, the church was severely damaged by fire in 1718 and was restored between 1722 and 1729.

Wikimedia Commons/Alexostrov

St George's Cathedral

St George's Cathedral is the central building of the Vydubychi Monastery complex in Kiev. It is one of the best masterpieces of Ukrainian Baroque. The church was built in honour of St George at the expense of Colonel Mykhailo Myklashevsky between 1696 and 1701. In the following years, with the support of Danylo Apostol, a three-storey bell tower was built. During the Soviet regime, the cathedral was closed and in 1967 a fire completely destroyed the interior, including the frescoes. The monastery buildings were returned to the church in 1998.