The Old Sephardi Synagogue was constructed in 1581. In both 1670 and 1778 the building burned down and rebuilt. It currently serves as a Jewish museum.
The Baščaršija mosque ("Marketplace mosque") was built in 1528. Originally, the Baščaršija mosque had a wooden dome that burned in a fire in 1697, after which the present mosque was built. In 1762, the mosque was repainted by Mehmed-pasha Muhsinović. The mosque also had to be rebuilt after the Second World War.
The Ferhadija mosque was built in the 16th century with a "kuttab" (school), a fountain and an "imaret" (public kitchen). These side buildings were unfortunately destroyed by successive fires (1697 and 1879), and the mosque was damaged during the Bosnian War (1992-1995).