Gmilut Hasadim Synagogue in Suceava

The (GAH) Synagogue in Suceava was founded in 1870 by the Gmilut Hasadim society. The synagogue was rebuilt many times: in 1910, in 1929, in 1975 and in 1983 (Streja A., and Schwarz L., "The Synagogue in Romania", The Hasefer Publishing House, 2009, 116-117). The modern building, disproportionate and asymmetrical, appeared as a result of numerous renovations. However, three large windows of the prayer hall and smoll windows of the women's gallery on the second floor on the south façade clearly indicate the nature of the building. The women's gallery is located on the second floor and is now on both sides of the prayer hall: on the west and on the north.

About this building

For more information visit on this building visit

Other nearby buildings

St. John the New of Suceava Monastery

The Saint John the New of Suceava monastery was built between 1514-1522, during the ruling of Bogdan III the Blind and Stefanita Voda, both sons of Stephen the Great. The building of the church is imposing and it follows the Moldavian architectural style. Inside of the church there is a shrine with the relics of Saint John the New, brought in 1402 by the king Alexander the Good from the White Fortress (today in Republic of Moldavia). Every year, on 24th of June, a huge pilgrimage is taking place here. Thousands of believers gather in the monasteries’ courtyards to listen to the Divine Liturgy and the priests’ words of wisdom and to take part in the procession with the Holy relics.

Wikimedia Commons/Cezar Suceveanu

Patrauti Church

Not far from Suceava, Stephen the Great founded in 1487 the only monastery of nuns at that time. The monastery did not survive the unfavourable times, remaining most of the time deserted. Today Patrauti church is consacrated to the Holy Cross and imposes itself due to its perfect harmony of proportions and stylished shapes.