The Cathedral of Trieste was built between 1302 and 1320 on two ancient churches. The bell tower was originally higher, but in 1422 it was struck by lightning and reduced to its present height. On the façade there is a huge rose window in karst stone. Inside, the two side apses are decorated with magnificent mosaics, the work of Venetian and Constantinopolitan workers.
The synagogue of Trieste, built between 1908 and 1912, is one of the largest buildings of Jewish worship in Europe. Prior to the construction of this building, the Jews of Trieste worshipped in four small synagogues located in the Jewish ghetto. With the advent of fascism from 1922 the synagogue was closed. Later, during the Second World War and with the German occupation of Trieste, the temple was reduced to a repository for books and works of art stolen by the Nazis.
The church of Sant'Antonio Taumaturgo or Sant'Antonio Nuovo was built between 1825 and 1849 on a former 18th century chapel. The famous neoclassical architect Pietro Nobile (1774-1854) was in charge of the construction of the building. On the main façade there are six statues sculpted by Francesco Bosa in 1842, representing St Just, St Sergius, St Servolo, St Maurus, St Euphemia and St Thecla.