Jumièges Abbey

The complex is currently in ruins but remains part of the churches of Saint-Pierre and Notre-Dame. The abbey of Jumièges was founded in 652 by Saint Philibert. Following the Norman invasions in the 9th century, the Benedictine monks repopulated the abbey at the end of the 10th century, then William of Volpiano reformed the establishment. The abbey church of Notre-Dame was consecrated in 1067 and its choir was under construction in the 13th century. Saint-Pierre church combines pre-Romanesque (beginning of the nave) and Gothic (rest of the nave and choir).

About this building


Key Features

  • Architecture
  • Stained glass
  • Monuments
  • Interior features
  • Atmosphere / quiet space
  • Social heritage
  • Famous people or stories

Visitors information

  • On street parking at the building
  • Parking within 250m

Other nearby buildings

Saint Georges de Saint-Martin Abbey, Boscherville

The building is essentially dated to the 12th and 13th centuries, which saw the nave, the choir, then the transept and the lantern tower. A fire led to the reconstruction of the bell tower. In the 19th century, the vaults were reworked.