The church in Valjala is the oldest preserved stone church in Estonia. It was built from 1227, at the time of the Livonia Crusades (13th century). In the third quarter of the 13th century, the small church of that time was transformed into a fortified church. The defensive church contains both Romanesque and Gothic elements. In 1922, thunderstruck the church and burnt the baroque helmet of the tower.
Pöide Maarja Church is a fortified church probably completed in the 1230s. Only the lower part of the sidewalls of the two central vaults of the present church has survived. At the end of the 13th or early 14th century, the original church was extended by a vault in both directions. The imposing western tower of the church probably also dates from before the St. George's night uprising (1343-1345). After the conservation work in the Muhu church in 1958, roofing and conservation work was also undertaken in the Pöide church. The works were completed in 1961.
The Peter and Paul Church in Kaarma was probably built in 1261. The high bell tower, whose east side rests on the west side, was completed in the 15th century. The eastern wall of the choir hall is illustrated by a rare triple window in Estonia. The interior of the church contains real treasures. Besides the 13th century paintings on the north wall of the choir. There are also 13th-century baptismal fonts as well as a wooden sculpture of Simon of Cyrene (mid 15th century) and an altar donated in 1547.